Author Topic: Large Fowl Silvers  (Read 2444 times)

Janie Vila

• Administrator
  • Associate
Large Fowl Silvers
« on: June 07, 2018, 10:23:06 PM »
I am planning on attending the national, not to show but to meet the faces behind the names. I am also hoping to bring home a healthy flock of large fowl silvers. I would also like to find some bantams. Anyone attending going to have any silvers avaliable?
Can't wait to have a mini vacation!!

Janie

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Large Fowl Silvers
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 08:24:34 AM »
Glad to hear that!   Bob Walchak is raising a few silver bantams that came from John Blehm's stock, and I don't believe he intends to keep any birds over winter, so I'm quite sure they will be available.    But just a pair or a trio. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 09:27:04 AM »
Janie, check with Jeff Vance too for bantams. He took over my silvers (which also originated from John's stock) when I got out of them. He may have something available.
Beth Curran

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 10:15:33 AM »
Janie, I'm looking forward to meeting you at the show and we can all enjoy some quality "Alliance" time together!
It's too early to know for sure, but I think I'll have a pair of each in the show and offer them for sale since I am dropping those two varieties.  I may just keep a few bantam and large fowl silver females to use in my pheasant/chicken cross project.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 10:19:49 AM by John W Blehm »

Janie Vila

• Administrator
  • Associate
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 11:53:02 AM »
John,

I plan on bring some pottery up to possibly sell. Who knows. However I would be more than grateful to bring some birds home.
When we bought our new house, we moved the birds to the new set up and enclosure and EVERYBODY that was in one pen got sick. I do not k ow if the former owners had chickens or not. All that have been on wire from day one have done great. Needless to say,  I am going to cull EVERYTHING  but my sons peafowl and depopulated. I have been hatching and rearing young so hopefully that won't put me to far behind.
I look forward to meeting everyone.  The alliance has been a nice welcome club and I thank you all for that.

Janie

P.S. Don't tell my husband I am stashing money on the side for birds!! 🤣🤣🤣

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 03:18:27 PM »
Hope you make it to our National Meet Janie. I would think about keeping some of your stock that make it to also breed from. If you happen to have something, disease bacteria or virus, those that thrive may have a resistance to it. Which would be my choice to use for breeders to try and breed in resistance to it. Unless you forego testing to find out exactly what is causing it, and the results come back to prove breeding will not help.
S.E. Michigan

Janie Vila

• Administrator
  • Associate
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 11:01:23 PM »
I have a few chicks that I was able to hatch that have been healthy thus far. I believe in breeding for resistance as well. I have to finish selling some odds and ends birds then I have space to have a nice large flock of silvers after my big pens have a good time to rest with some lime and virkon s. Not to mention,  piggies to turn the soil. If I ha e any more show up sick they are going to the state lab.  Have to finish testing so I will be npip, o lyrics for my self though.

Janie

Janie Vila

• Administrator
  • Associate
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 01:36:35 AM »
I am going to be as persistent as a bug in an ear. If you are looking through your pens and decide that you are giving up silvers, please keep me in mind. If those are the only birds I have, I would be happy. I am in search of really nice cock birds as well as some quality pullets.
Hugs all!

Janie

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 02:49:32 AM »
Silver are next on my list for downsizing.  Where are you Janie?
I'm in Northeastern PA -- the Scranton area.

Sue

Janie Vila

• Administrator
  • Associate
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 01:03:50 AM »
Sue,
I am in Doswell Virginia.  North of Richmond. I will drive for birds. I think I am going to become a silver ameraucana hoarder. We can not find them in this area. Let me know when you want to let them go, how much etc.. I will come up and get them.

Janie

Janie Vila

• Administrator
  • Associate
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 11:55:49 PM »
I am getting excited.  6 weeks away folks.  ;D
Can not wait to meet you all. Sue, I will send you a message. 

Janie Vila

• Administrator
  • Associate
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2018, 11:32:56 AM »
Days are creeping up. I hope everyone is as excited as I am.
I want to confirm with anyone that will for sure be bringing large fowl silvers. Thanks so much everyone.