Author Topic: Getting Ready for York (First Show!)  (Read 1135 times)

Jack Riccardelli

• Chickens! Chickens everywhere!!
    • Biddy Thumper Farm
Getting Ready for York (First Show!)
« on: May 13, 2018, 02:42:19 PM »
Hello everyone!

I'm getting ready for the York County Poultry Fanciers Show in York, PA and was wondering if anyone else was planning on being there? It's also my first show so I'm super excited/nervous/anxious/ a whole hot mess right now.

I want to make sure I've got everything I need, I already have my entry in, next thing I need to do is get my birds tested and then get my show box together. (Which I'm going to need some help on remember everything that should be in it.)

So without further ado, what exactly should be in my show box?

I know Nail Clippers, a brush, Vaseline? Any and all help would be super appreciated.
Biddy Thumper Farm
Black Ameraucanas, Wyandottes, Ducks, Cochin Bantams, Pomeranian Saddleback Geese

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Getting Ready for York (First Show!)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 10:15:31 PM »
The clipping could easily be done well before the show, so you should not need that at the show.  Vaseline?   It's greasy, and dust and shavings stick to it.  I don't use it.   I do use a tooth brush to go over the comb and legs by dipping it in a mixture of oil and denatured alcohol.  Almost any vegetable oil will do, but I use olive oil.  The oil shines up the comb and legs, and the alcohol dries it so it does not remain sticky.  And some wipes of course to dry down the excess mixture from the legs/shanks.  I just use the blue paper shop towels.  I also carry a coarse comb.  It's handy  for removing any wax base from new feathers in the hackle, and then I also use it to comb out and then fluff up the muffs and beard.   That's about all I do, and it seems to work. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Jack Riccardelli

• Biddy Thumper Farm
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 09:34:08 AM »
The clipping could easily be done well before the show, so you should not need that at the show.  Vaseline?   It's greasy, and dust and shavings stick to it.  I don't use it.   I do use a tooth brush to go over the comb and legs by dipping it in a mixture of oil and denatured alcohol.  Almost any vegetable oil will do, but I use olive oil.  The oil shines up the comb and legs, and the alcohol dries it so it does not remain sticky.  And some wipes of course to dry down the excess mixture from the legs/shanks.  I just use the blue paper shop towels.  I also carry a coarse comb.  It's handy  for removing any wax base from new feathers in the hackle, and then I also use it to comb out and then fluff up the muffs and beard.   That's about all I do, and it seems to work.

I thought the Vaseline might not be the right thing to use. I didn't know about the oil/acohol mix though, so thank you very much for that tid bit. I know someone said to use VetRX or Vetricyn to help the combs shine but I wasn't sure if that was going to work or not.

So for the coarse comb are we talking grease lightning style comb? Or just a brush? (Unfortunately my brain isn't quite up to speed yet this morning).
Biddy Thumper Farm
Black Ameraucanas, Wyandottes, Ducks, Cochin Bantams, Pomeranian Saddleback Geese

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 01:46:12 PM »
I would also add a silk or satin cloth to wipe down the chickens prior to putting them back in the show cage. The more you wipe them down the more sheen they will have, i also find it helps lay down any wacko feathers as well. The most important thing to remember is this.......have fun and enjoy yourself. Do not get overwhelmed or all worked up, hopefully you are not taking a truckload but only a few? Also just observe what everyone else is doing and using, somethings might work for you and some might not.
S.E. Michigan

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 04:52:35 PM »
 I'm not sure what a grease lightning comb is, but most anything that is fairly coarse, (not real narrow between the teeth) will work.   A brush might work to fluff up the muffs, but it won't help remove the wax from the base of new feathers in the hackle.   I know a lot of people use VetRX, but it is used to clear air passages, and always makes me think the bird from with the aroma emanates might be sick.  Plus I don't care for the smell anyway, so I just don't use it.  To each his own I guess.    Good luck with your first show!  Like Russ said, just relax and enjoy it. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Jack Riccardelli

• Biddy Thumper Farm
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 12:12:40 PM »
I would also add a silk or satin cloth to wipe down the chickens prior to putting them back in the show cage. The more you wipe them down the more sheen they will have, i also find it helps lay down any wacko feathers as well. The most important thing to remember is this.......have fun and enjoy yourself. Do not get overwhelmed or all worked up, hopefully you are not taking a truckload but only a few? Also just observe what everyone else is doing and using, somethings might work for you and some might not.

Okay, I'll see if I can find one. And yes, I'm gonna try to have as much fun as I possibly can. Susan's coming with me so that's a plus since she's done this before loads of times. I'm only taking 8 birds with me so not too terribly many I think. My 2 best Black Ameraucana Cockerels, 1 Black Ameraucana Pullet, a pair of Rouen Ducks (One boy one girl), a Welsh Harlequin Drake, one Buff Saddleback Pom Gander, anddd my Splash Cochin Bantam Rooster. Got a bit of a mix but it's who I have that are ready for the show so far.

My two Ameraucana Roos I'm taking with me are Bruce who's on the far left and Jim who's the pretty boy in the middle. (Ignore the idiot in the back he's not going anywhere) And the pretty little lady on the right is my little pullet who's coming with me. She's adorable so hopefully she does okay.
Biddy Thumper Farm

Jack Riccardelli

• Biddy Thumper Farm
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 12:25:08 PM »
I'm not sure what a grease lightning comb is, but most anything that is fairly coarse, (not real narrow between the teeth) will work.   A brush might work to fluff up the muffs, but it won't help remove the wax from the base of new feathers in the hackle.   I know a lot of people use VetRX, but it is used to clear air passages, and always makes me think the bird from with the aroma emanates might be sick.  Plus I don't care for the smell anyway, so I just don't use it.  To each his own I guess.    Good luck with your first show!  Like Russ said, just relax and enjoy it.

Um it's this kind of comb, like the ones the boys were obsessed with from grease lightning.

Oohh okay. Yeah I didn't think about the smell since I actually haven't had to use it before. I know a lot of people online have been saying to get something like frontline to put on the birds before they come home so that way they don't bring anything home to the rest of the flock. Not sure what works best for birds though.

Thanks Mike! Don't worry I'm gonna have loads of fun I'm sure of it! I've even got some jackets and shirts being made for my farm, and I'll have lots of pictures of the show to share, promise!
Biddy Thumper Farm