Author Topic: CDC Warns Backyard Poultry Owners of Salmonella Outbreak  (Read 825 times)

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
CDC Warns Backyard Poultry Owners of Salmonella Outbreak
« on: May 21, 2021, 10:52:46 AM »
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.
A CDC investigation reported 163 people had been sickened across 43 states, according to NBC News. Interviews with people affected showed that contact with backyard poultry likely was the source of the outbreaks.

Kids are most vulnerable to salmonella.  A few years ago there was a magazine ad for chicken feed showing a kid with a chick touching his face.  I complained to the editor, but he didn't care.  Cackle Hatchery offers a poster called Cackle’s Safe Handling of Poultry Poster with good guidelines to help educate the public.

Old topic: Why You Should Never Kiss a Chicken

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: CDC Warns Backyard Poultry Owners of Salmonella Outbreak
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 11:22:39 AM »
Personally, I have lost all faith in the CDC.    But washing hands after handling anything in the barnyard is common sense.   I have my doubts if salmonella enters the body through the face.   More likely from eating finger food before washing.   Just my opinion.
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: CDC Warns Backyard Poultry Owners of Salmonella Outbreak
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 01:16:34 PM »
The CDC and NBC News are in the news story as sources.  I believe the poster info is from the FDA and although I feel these guidelines are good, I'm not personally endorsing any government agency or news outlet.    ;)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 06:09:00 PM by John W Blehm »