Author Topic: Why You Should Never Kiss a Chicken  (Read 2192 times)

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Why You Should Never Kiss a Chicken
« on: July 17, 2015, 09:45:07 PM »
Most of us know this, but I see people let their kids hold chicks and put them up to their faces and many don't wash after touching the birds.

Newsmax

Study Reveals Why You Should Never Kiss a Chicken

Friday, July 17, 2015 12:15 PM

By: Sylvia Booth Hubbard

No matter how cute and fuzzy, you should never cuddle and kiss a chicken — that's the Centers for Disease Control's latest message. The CDC has been investigating four multi-state outbreaks of Salmonella that they have linked to people having contact with live poultry, including baby chicks.

As of June 29, 40 states had reported outbreaks of Salmonella involving 181 people. All cases tested were found to be negative for antibiotic resistance, but of those sickened, 33 had to be hospitalized.

Of 95 sick people interviewed, 86 percent reported contact with chicks, ducks, and other live poultry from multiple hatcheries the week before they became ill. Many of them reported bringing the chicks indoors as pets.

According to the CDC, Salmonella causes about 1 million illnesses in the United States every year. Most people infected report symptoms of diarrhea, fever, and abdominal cramps 12 to 72 hours after infection. Illnesses last four to seven days, and although most people recover without treatment, 19,000 hospitalizations and 380 deaths occur each year.

Salmonella bacteria usually live in the intestinal tract, but baby chicks can carry it on their feathers, and it can be passed to anyone who touches them.

To avoid Salmonella, the CDC advises people who have backyard flocks to:

● Don't let chickens and other poultry inside your house.

● Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water after touching a bird or anything they have come in contact with.

© 2015 NewsmaxHealth. All rights reserved.

Lee G

• Associate
Re: Why You Should Never Kiss a Chicken
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 11:25:34 AM »
 :) Does anyone else find it slightly amusing there was an actual study done on this... I mean, come on now.

Common sense should tell folks to wear lipstick as a barrier when kissing chickens! Like, duh!  ::) :P
~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 02:12:05 PM »
Good one Lee, but my wife might wonder what's going on if I came back from the coop wearing lipstick!   Actually, if their pens are kept reasonably clean I don't think there should be a problem.   Chickens have never made me sick, although the summertime dust when I clean their pens sometimes does clog up my bronchial tubes.  Yes, I know I should be wearing a mask, but they don't work well for me. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Lee G

• Associate
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 09:26:04 PM »
lol, I suppose she might. Best stick to chapstick then.  ;)

And I tend to agree with you about the risks of salmonella being relatively low with good husbandry, cleanliness, and a little common sense. Hand washing just may make a comeback yet!  :)

I'm actually pretty good about wearing my respirator these days. Chicken dander is killer on the lungs! 
~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 04:26:25 PM »
What kind of respirator do you use Lee?  A plain mask or something more elaborate? 

thanks