Author Topic: genetic or incubation problem???  (Read 2282 times)

Stan Alder

• Associate
genetic or incubation problem???
« on: October 12, 2015, 11:56:33 AM »
I really like this pullet and would like to use her in a breeding pen. Opinions are appreciated, but my most concerning issue is her toes. I've heard mixed opinions on toe deformities. Is this genetic, or and incubation issue? I did have incubator problems around the time she was batched... thanks

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: genetic or incubation problem???
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 01:11:30 PM »
Stan as a general rule I always side with genetics until proven different. If you don't have anything else to use then I would toe punch all progeny from her matings. If you notice the deformities in any offspring you will know it's genetic and to not use her for breeding.
S.E. Michigan

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 01:43:04 PM »
Another general rule is one Mike calls the Double Fault System...
Quote from: Mike Gilbert
I like to use a double fault system.    I will tolerate one inherited fault provided the future mate to that bird does not have the same fault.   But two or more and its out the door.    Easy to remember, it rhymes.   But it really depends on what level a breeder is at in his or her own breeding program - and what the overall goals are.

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 03:23:48 PM »
Me too Stan..I've heard mixed reasoning on faulty toes all the back to 1860's in the California Farmer magazine -- online btw -- so I think the key is whether that's all you have? If so, then there's your answer.  If not, follow Russ and Mike's advice but to do so, are the others related to her?    If so and it is genetic it will pop up everywhere and you'll be eating a lot chicken but somewhere in there, if you hatch a lot  you'll find a few that are good and it's that lottery hit that can be a real winner.

best of luck
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 05:29:03 PM by BrownEyes »

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 11:55:52 AM »
I used a really nice cock with a crooked toe, and every one of his chicks had it (same toe) so I'm convinced it can be genetic, but I'm also not convinced it's always genetic. I would hatch a few chicks as soon as possible, and let them grow out some before hatching too many more. That was my mistake, when they didn't hatch with crooked toes I thought I was in the clear and kept hatching, they appeared when the birds were a few months old. I've heard if it appears early it's more likely to be incubation and later genetic, but that's getting a bit above my pay grade, where's Mike?  ;)
Beth Curran